Summer vacation is the time that kids long for and wait for it for several months. They areat home throughout the day without any specific schedule to follow. Since they play a lot, theyoftenfeel hungry and keepdemanding new and tasty snacks. Mothers are always on the lookout for new and tasty recipes that are also a healthieralternative tojunk food. These recipes need to be nutritious, innovative and should also be prepared quickly and on a short notice.
If you have a pizza maker at your disposal, you can actually try many new and varied recipes. Here are few of the recipes that kids would love.
- Veg Pizza with Paneer: The most-loved snack by many kids is obviously pizza, but you can load it with healthy nutrients. You can use a wheat base. Spread homemade pizza sauce on it instead of the canned one. You can spread a lot of veggies like capsicum, tomatoes, corn, jalapeno, onion and paneer on it. Overload it with vegetables and then spread a generous helping of cheese (cotija cheese or parmesan cheese)over it. The same old pizza nowbecomes a nutritious treat instead of drooling calories.
- Corn Potato Tikkis: Pizza makers come with a non-sticky surface and hence can be used for making tikkis. Boil and mash potatoes and add boiled corns to it along with salt, chillies, green coriander and mango powder. Make tikkis and cook them on pizza maker. As heat spreads evenly and is retained on this appliance, the tikkis turn out to be perfectly cooked and crisp.
- Health Burst Treat: This pizza is very healthy both for kids and adults. Soak 3 Tbsp flaxseeds in little water for few minutes. Add soaked and rinsed chickpeas, flaxseeds, garlic, chickpea flour, olive oil and a little salt to it and make the dough. Use this as the pizza base and bake on both sides for few seconds in your pizza maker. Next spread pizza sauce on it followed by tomatoes, onions, capsicum and corn. Top it up with feta cheese.
- Omelette Wrap: Make an omelette and load it with interesting ingredients that your kids love like toppings of steak and mushroom.Add some chat masala and sauce and fold it like a wrap for a quick and wholesome meal.
- Mixed Pulse Wrap: Kids often don’t like eating pulses. So, why not camouflage them?Soak the mixed pulses overnight and next morning drain and grind them into a paste. Now spread this mixture like an omelette and cook on both sides. Make toppings of mixed vegetableslike tomatoes, onions, carrots, peas, corn and beetroot. The choice is unlimited. You can also use non-veg toppings of chicken or mutton. Put it on this base and roll it like a wrap with some sauce or green chutney.
When kids have a choice of these yummy snacks, they will not fall to the temptations of junk food like chips, biscuits and chocolates. They will love these variations and will happily eat these as snacks or meals. It is a win-win situation for both kids and mothers as kids get tasty food to eat and mothers are happy as they succeed in making it healthy.